Seven Quick Takes: New House Edition
Last summer, in the late summer, we moved into a new house. For the first time in our married lives, we're in an actual house, that isn't attached to anyone else's residence and that has a yard. Here are some of my new favorite things about our home:
1. Lilacs. The house previous owner (the only one, the one the house was built for) was an amazing gardener. I'm falling behind in taking care of the sheer number of flower beds and garden areas. But she planted these amazing lilac bushes that bloom in rotation, so we have had lilacs for almost a solid month. I can smell them everywhere and the blooms are gorgeous.
2. Open windows. We can keep our windows open most of the time starting in May. We get a great cross breeze that keeps our house cool and let in the amazing scents of the garden, newly-mown grass, summer bonfires. From my open bedroom window, I can hear the rainfall and hear the wind whisper in the trees. I can also hear cranes, crickets, frogs and more birds than I can name. We've never had "open window season" for a number of reasons, but I love it.
3. Our swing. We have an old porch swing in the back yard you can see a bunch of the garden areas and trees from. It's one of my kids' favorite places in the world now.
4. Our big garden. In addition to flower beds, we now have a huge vegetable garden with lots of sun and good drainage. My mom is an enthusiastic gardener and thanks to her efforts we have gotten lettuce, spinach, radishes, dill, asparagus, garlic scapes, and wonder of wonders, strawberries! I've never successfully grown anything before, so this bumper crop is overwhelming in the best possible way.
5. Our flower garden. There are perennials everywhere! Right now it's irises, but I've seen alliums, bleeding hearts, lilies of the valley, flowers I don't know the names of, herbs I know but can't remember. Crab grass has become my nemesis as it tries to choke out my pretty blossoms, but it can't lower my spirits.
6. The pool. Yeah. We have a pool now. It's a big one.
7. The fire pit. The biggest social draw has been our firepit. Husband and kids love gathering burn material, getting the fire started, and cooking brats and marshmallows over an open flame. We have cookouts a lot.
Bonus: 8. My family lives a mile away.